Tuesday, March 6, 2012

reduce...don't use...don't eat...

  

i try to do my part in the whole reduce. reuse. recycle movement. there is always room for improvement and after watching this video, i'm feeling very empowered to cut the plastic out wherever i possibly can... even if that means that i don't get my daily cup of coffee unless i have my own mug with me.

and i never knew their official name, gyres... but i had heard of these large masses or whirlpools of plastic that gather in the ocean. and, in my head, i pictured large pieces of debris floating and congregating in one place waiting for someone to invent a big giant vacuum to suck it all up and be whisked away for recycling.

of course it turns out that my vision was pretty far off from what's actually happening... in this video the lovely mary, anna & dr. marcus explain and show first hand examples of the breakdown of debris and the small pieces of particles that are being ingested by the birds, the fish, and ultimately us

it's gnar-gnar. so much so that  it's making me rethink eating fish.
it also makes me sad. and it makes me wish i could find some way to invent that big giant vacuum that would clean up this mess and help momma earth get back to where she deserves to be... not only for our sake, but more for my little ones... and for all the other innocent kids out there who shouldn't have to clean up after our mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment